Our Mission

Citizens for Historic and Preservation Services strives to educate the public on the value of saving significant buildings and structures from neglect and modernization (that destroy the integrity of the building), and demolition. CHAPS records and communicates news about preservation efforts in Butler County.

CHAPS accomplishes its mission in a host of methods. Some of the past activities of CHAPS include:

  • Obtaining grants from the Ohio Historical Society for surveys of buildings in Liberty, Fairfield, and Hanover Townships

  • Producing portfolios on the history of buildings, such as for  Shandon, the first Welsh community in Ohio

  • Presenting seminars with well-known and respected preservationists

  • Producing brochures to use in saving historic homes

  • Meeting and consulting with owners of historic properties regarding preservation

  • Working with state and regional organizations and the National Trust for Historic Preservation

  • Presenting awards for outstanding preservation efforts

  • Creating a conduit for donations for preservation education through the Hamilton Community Foundation

  • Organizing committees to tackle local preservation projects

Past Preservation Awards

2012
- Historic Developers, LLC and the City of Hamilton - Mercantile Block

2011
- Community Development Partners - Washington/Third Ward School
- Partners in Prime - Adams/Miami School

2010
-Reily Township Trustees - Reily Township Museum

2009
- Three Valley Conservation Trust - Land Conservation
- West Chester Township Trustees - Station Road Schoolhouse

2008
- Oxford Historical Society - Oxford Township House

2007
- Lance & Ginger George - Bender Mansion
- Beau Verre Riordan Studios - G.C. Murphy Building

Citizens for Historic and Preservation Services
P.O. Box 1276| Hamilton, Ohio 45012